Tuesday, January 4, 2011

An Adventure Into A Land Unknown ~ 05.01.11

Today we joined a group of 'Unschoolers & Homeschoolers'
at the TTDI Park where we had not been for the longest time.
We started off in the stream looking for tiny fish, tadpoles and shiny stones.
I met a nice friend, Adrian and we played for 2 hours together in the stream!
After Adrian left, we joined the rest of the group and had a picnic. It must've been my lucky day because someone brought cupcakes with my name written all over them!
Then, someone celebrated a birthday and I got more cake!
I love this group!

But now I'm outta here! Adios Amigoes!


( Mummy's Musings ~ the 'other world' of 'Unschooling & Homeschooling' is totally new to me. I am however, very curious and very interested in this 'revolution'. Some of the children at this meeting appeared to be brighter, more confident and certainly not deprived in any way for lack of being 'formally schooled'.  I know I am highly incapable of tutoring Cahaya beyond the toddler years but am amazed at some of these parents who have/are doing it and are successful.. I may consider a blend of it in the near future... lets' see what the future holds ... )

2 comments:

  1. Hey Karen, I'm also very interested to know more about unschooling more so than homeschooling actually - as I KNOW I'm a terrible teacher... Alexander will testify to that! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Unschooling actually means no formal or syllabus at all. Life becomes your textbooks, your parents become your teachers. I am trying to wrap my lil head around it. It's soo appealing, yet idealistic in many ways and romantic in others! It is also dangerous, believe it or not. I heard about a couple being sued by their in laws for not educating their grandchildren. I heard stories of how the govt intervenes n what parents do to circumvent the rules. It is all so amazing n fresh to me. My curiosity is at it's peak!!

    ReplyDelete